Monday, May 21, 2012

Colleenness

Happy I Need A Patch For That Day!

Now, I stopped my post yesterday because I felt it was a wee lengthy.

Let us continue.

Marriage is so beautiful. It is a union that confounds me - people enter for themselves, while in truth it is a very selfless act. I have found that marriage benefits others, often more than the couples themselves. Marriage has lost so much value in society today, it is almost a joke. I wish that I could wave my wand and make it shiny and new once again so that the world could fully appreciate the goodness given, yet unfortunately I cannot perform magic outside of Hogwarts.

For those of you who don't know me, understand this: I want to get married before I'm 24. I simply look forward to this opportunity to be with someone I love and to grow together. But this doesn't mean that all Mormons get hitched at 19 and have a bus-load of babies right off the bat. My parents didn't get married until my mother was 30. Sometimes things don't happen the way you expect, but looking back my mother wouldn't alter what has happened. It was for the best, and our family is so close because if the trials that my parents and elder siblings endured.

Now, I think that I have completed my marriage shpeil. But I haven't finished my temple marriage shpeil.

Why is it important?

Here is an article by Spencer W. Kimball. It is interesting, but at the same time I wanna lay down the dirty facts.

You love someone.
He loves you.
You love each other enough to want to be together forever.
You value your salvation more than the opinion of the world.

Then get married in the temple.

We were trying to brainstorm possible reasons girls give for why they married outside of the temple:

- They wanted a "unique" ceremony
    - I am not going to pretend that I have witnessed a temple sealing, but I can promise you that no ceremony can compare. The spirit present and the joy you feel in that moment will surpass any declaration of love Shakespeare can toss out.

- They wanted to have an outdoor wedding
    - Number one, outdoor weddings can be so unpredictable. Temples are always beautiful. Two, you have the whole world at your disposal for your reception or any other wedding-related events. Why waste the chance to be sealed simply so you can be on the beach for an hour?

- They are unsure if they want to be with their fiance forever
    - Honey, if you are going to skip out on commitment, maybe you shouldn't be married in the first place. I can't judge, seeing as I have never been in love before, but I suppose I have always just assumed that when you are willing to marry someone, it should be more than a temporary commitment.

- They want to be walked down the aisle
     - I love my dad. I love God. Call me crazy, but I am more concerned with letting down my Heavenly Father than my earthly one.

Understand, I know that I am coming across quite harsh - yet I really am not so nasty. I simply feel that we can be so wrapped up in our own lens and what the world believes is "proper", that we forget what is truly important.

Can I ask a favor?



If you ever have any questions about Mormons, or if you are LDS and you are uncertain of something, can you please not google it? The internet is an amazing pool of information, but it also spawns hate and it is a breeding ground for lies and deceit. I can't even mention some of the crap that I have seen on there - as my science teacher always says, no source is truly reliable. (Often people will craft their own "background", so even "reliable" online sources can be worthless.) Someone may say that they were once Mormon or that they heard from the original source, but so often our past can cause our intentions and memories to turn sour.

What I mean is that often those who try to explain a "Mormon custom" may slightly twist or even completely alter the truth so that it will cause harm.

C'mon, would you believe that little 'ol me would belong to a cult?

Just ask a current church member, or if possible the missionaries, if you have questions.

Now, for a new blog! I was reading in Isaiah, when I came across a phrase that I wanted clarfication on. I stumbled upon this nifty little blog called but now I see.

Here are two articles from Colleen that I love:
Chastisement of our peace
Reality

Check 'em out.


If ya'll want to see a few of the Centerstage songs that we performed, click here.

(P.S. whoever loaded the videos sped up the songs - also, the only audio you will get is what the sound booth caught from personal mics, we sounded much better than that, I swear!)

Goodnight!

xoxo,
McCall

No comments:

Post a Comment