Monday, May 14, 2012

My Hair Goes Down

Happy National Chicken Dance Day!!!

Isn't it odd how one word can have both negative and positive connotations? Certain objects and phrases can appear to your mind as something to appreciate or something to fear - all based on our current situation, exposure, and our mode of thinking. For example, medicine. Something so amazing and yet so terrifying at the same time. We have thrived in due part to this miracle, yet we have also faced the devastation torn through our nation due to these drugs.

Another example on my mind lately has been the imagery of high places. In the Bible, we often hear of prophets sojourneying to high places, communing with the Lord on a mountain. Temples are referred to as Mounts of the Lord, teachers preach from pulpits, we must ascend the hill of the Lord - all of these are positive meanings. Yet then we have the Tower of Babel, the Great and Spacious Building, the "Prince of the Air." Isn't it odd?

I like the variety - the two sides to any story, the other point of view. I really want to write a book about the time period in which the Children of Israel are reclaiming the promised lands by booting the Canaanites out. But from a Canaanite point of view. Think about it, some crazy religious army waltzing around the valley and claiming that the land your family has owned for generations is theirs. They are commanded to destroy villages, burn cattle, kill innocent children - all in the name of their God. It would be interesting to explore more about that age - I feel that writing from the idolatrous people's point of view would in turn help me come to terms with this event.

****************
Today we got a call that my grandparents' old home, the home that *Green Grandpa built with his own hands, was bulldozed out of the blue! I guess one minute it was here, and the next it's bye-bye birdie! I have had so many memories in that house, it is crazy for me to think of how much it has been a part of our family.
Strangely enough though, I'm not too devastated at it's passing. Maybe one reason for my mood is that God just lent us that house anyways; it was never really "ours" and we need to realize that memories lie with us, not some pieces of wood.

Sorry if my writing is kinda childish-sounding today. I took two naps, and that is a no-no for McCall.

*To explain Green Grandpa:
when I was younger in order to keep families straight, I would refer to my dad's parents as white gramma and grampa, and my mom's parents as green grandpa and pink grandma.
...I guess I just thought that they wore those colors often.

Um... here is a link for the best love song I ever heard in my life. There is no need for me to write it. I just gotta picture her smiling. And of you feel that way, go ahead and kiss your baby, 'cause now we got the whole stadium in love like eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh eh-eh!

And if you didn't watch this video before, shame on you. Watch. Now.

And these guys are hilarious. But kinda weird at times.
 
xoxo,
McCall

No comments:

Post a Comment